Complaint Services

Available services:
Technical complaints
Accounting complaints
Other complaints

Required Documents:
- Service request from the customer or beneficiary
- The national ID card and a copy of the water or drainage receipt
- Customer phone number

Required forms:
- Complaint service request form by going to the various customer service centers and outlets (SHWS-CUSTF-15-01)

- Communication takes place through various channels:
- Call the hotline 125 around the clock
- Contact via WhatsApp: 01205502086 - 01205502098
01272273227 - 01272274227